Friday, March 14, 2008

generational

I have a job - or will as soon as the contract is put together - at my parents' church. I will be the Youth Ministries Coordinator, which means I will be supporting the youth group in various ways. I'll also be sort of test-driving the position, so all of the various youth, volunteers, staff, committees, etc. can figure out how the position works before they hire someone more permanently for the fall.

On Sunday, I joined the youth group, who -- fresh from a con and daylight savings time -- were not particularly conscious. At the end of the time, we played Apples to Apples. And I realized that I was the sole representative of my generation in the room.

Most of the kids playing had no idea who Sean Connery is. True he hasn't been in anything of note in their lifetimes, except, I would argue Playing by Heart, but still. There are aspects of the culture that people just need to know.

They also didn't know who Bill and Ted are. Neither did the adult advisers, as far as I could tell. I can't work up the same level of outrage about this, but I do wonder what movies these kids watched when they were ten. Probably Pirates of the Caribbean.

I hope that part of my job is choosing the movies to show at sleepovers.

No comments: