Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year’s Resolution

This year, I resolve to be less of a snob.

I attended The Seattle Pops last month and didn’t enjoy it as much as I wanted to. The music was simplistic; the jokes were awful. Nearly everyone in the audience seemed to be having a good time. Why not me?

To counteract this, I came up with a desnobification list. I would watch romantic comedies, the number one movie in America, and NASCAR. I would listen to top 40 radio, eat at chain restaurants and read romance novels. So many people enjoy these things, but I am not interested in them. And at least for me in these areas, there’s only a short step from disinterest to condescension. It creates distance between me and other people that I don’t want to be there.

Or, maybe snobbiness isn’t really the issue. Maybe I am just having trouble re-integrating myself into US culture. I recently came across this passage in Exclusion and Embrace by Miroslav Volf:

‘Both distance and belonging are essential. Belonging without distance destroys: I affirm my exclusive identity as Croatian and want either to shape everyone in my own image or elimate them from my world. But distance without belonging isolates: I deny my identity as Croatian and draw back from my own culture. But more often than not, I become trapped in the snares of counter-dependence. I deny my Croatian identity only to affirm even more forcefully my identity as a member of this or that anti-Croatian sect. And so an isolationist “distance without belonging” slips into a destructive “belonging without distance.” Distance from a culture must never degenerate into flight from that culture but must be a way of living within that culture.’

Maybe my new year’s resolution should just be to figure out how to be an American again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I threw away all my CD's and only listen to turbo folk now. Gotta stop being a snob. Next thing on my list: attending a Radical party rally and voting for them. If majority of Serbs do it, it *must* be a good thing.

Anonymous said...

We should all become dumb and obese so we can fit in better. Mmmm...burger... What's the latest news on Paris Hilton?

Brad said...

Top 40 music ain't Radical or dumb (unless it's counting in Spanish incorrectly)
Paris Hilton can be entertaining in the hands of thesuperficial.com
That said, chain restaurants are killing mom & pops.